At least one member of the University's teaching staff was forced to leave the University after sexually harassing an undergraduate, according to an Ombudsman report to be released today. The study, the first ever of its kind, states that a total of 87 allegations of sexual and racial harassment were filed during the 1989-90 academic year against faculty, students and staff. It says that the "most serious cases" involved sexual harassment by "members of the teaching staff of undergraduates who were their students." It also states that sanctions in these cases included salary freezes, letters of reprimand, and at least one "departure from the University." It does not specify if the individual or individuals were forced to leave or left voluntarily. Ombudsman Daniel Perlmutter declined to comment on the report last night. Associate Finance Professor Susan Wachter, who was ombudsman last year, said last night that she could not say anything about the departure beyond what was in the report. The report shows that 22 faculty members were charged with violations of the sexual and racial harassment policies, but does not state how many were found guilty of the allegations. It is not clear whether any of the cases are still under investigation. The report, to be printed in today's Almanac, states that approximately half of alleged harassment incidents were racial and half were sexual. It also says that there were three charges of ethnic harassment and four relating to sexual orientation. According to Assistant to the President Nicholas Constan, the report was compiled so that there will be a record of the number of complaints each year. He said the specific charges are not included because some may be unsubstantiated. Constan said it is difficult to judge the impact of the numbers since there is no previous report for comparison. He added, however, that the reports will play an important role in the future when trends will become evident. "I like that this sort of reporting will be done so we can come up with some comparisons later," he said. According to the report, the administration requested in May that academic officers and resource center directors report all allegations to the Ombudsman for compiling. Former Ombudsman Wachter said that the racial and sexual harassment policies, formally enacted in December 1988, mandate the annual report. The report states that of the 87 charges between July 1, 1989 and June 30, 1990, 12 are currently being investigated, 23 have been deemed unfounded, 25 were resolved and one went to a formal grievance procedure. It also says that 26 complainants did not want their allegations investigated. The most complaints, 60, were filed by staff, and students filed less than half that amount. Only one faculty complaint was reported. Only six of the complaints were against students, the report states, while 59 were against staff and 22 against faculty.