History and Sociology of Science professors and students said they feel angered and cheated by the administration's plans to temporarily relocate their department to 34th and Market streets after demolishing historic Smith Hall, where H & SS is currently housed. Provost Michael Aiken last week announced plans to tear down the nearly 100-year old Smith Hall to make room for the Institute of Advanced Science and Technology, which will provide new laboratory space for engineering and science departments. Razing Smith Hall would require the relocation of the H & SS and Fine Arts departments. Aiken said H & SS will be temporarily relocated to the University City Science Center on 34th and Market streets, and will permanently move into Houston Hall when the new campus center is completed. H & SS Graduate Chairperson Judith McGaw said yesterday that department members are angry because administrators plan to move the uprooted department to a spot which students and faculty consider unsafe. McGaw also said that it will be more difficult for students to reach their professors. She added that the Science Center, which is run by the University and other area schools, is far from needed resources, such as the library. "The University has gone to great lengths to meet with scientists and engineers, but they haven't talked to us at all about our teaching and research needs," McGaw said. Vice President for Facilities Management Arthur Gravina said yesterday that the Science Center is the closest spot for H & SS' temporary move, adding that his department "looked everywhere" on campus for suitable space. Gravina said he would work with H & SS members to ensure their safety in the new location. Aiken said Fine Arts will move into the Hajoca Building across from the Class of 1923 Ice Rink at 32nd and Walnut streets. Since Smith Hall was certified as a historic building last fall, the University must receive approval from the Philadelphia Historical Preservation Commission before modifying or destroying it. An architectural subcommittee of the commission will hold a hearing about the University's proposal on Thursday afternoon. H & SS students and faculty members also criticized the administration for what one termed "the University's underhandedness" in announcing their plans to demolish Smith Hall one week before the scheduled hearing this Thursday. H & SS graduate student Julie Johnson, who lead last year's fight to have the building certified as historic, said yesterday that a number of department members plan to attend the hearing in order to argue for an extension, thereby providing them more time to prepare a case against the University. "It's just been habitual with the University to constantly try to schedule any type of controversial actions for vacation periods," Johnson said. Gravina said the administration scheduled the hearing for this Thursday to ensure that the historical commission makes its decision by the end of December, when he plans to apply for a government grant to fund the new science and technology institute. Gravina said a $10 million government grant has been set aside for an institute such as the one the University is planning to build. He said by receiving the city's approval to demolish Smith Hall, the University will be better able to stipulate its building plans for the government. "We're not trying to slip by during the holiday season," Gravina said. "When we do an application we want to be as detailed as possible."