Philadelphia officials yesterday postponed ruling on whether the University can demolish historic Smith Hall, possibly thwarting the administration's planned bid for a $10 million federal grant to construct a new building on the site. After a two-hour hearing, the architectural committee of the Philadelphia Historical Preservation Commission pushed back a decision on the University's proposed demolition, saying it was not clear that razing Smith Hall was necessary. Approximately 25 people filled the meeting room to protest the University's intentions. They said destroying the building, one of the oldest on campus, would be another step in what they called the University's destruction of campus history. Smith Hall, constructed around 1890, is classified as a historic building by the commission, and thus planned changes to the building must be approved by commission members. The University has asked for permission to tear down the structure to build the Institute of Advanced Science and Technology, which will provide new laboratory space for engineering and science departments. Yesterday's delay of the decision has cast doubt on University plans to apply for a federal grant for the institute. The grant, which would be underwritten by the U.S. Defense Department, requires that extensive documentation be submitted by March. But administrators said the application will take months to complete and should be as detailed as possible. They said not having a determined location for the institute would put the bid "in jeopardy." Provost Michael Aiken, who attended the hearing, said afterward that if the University does not receive the Defense Department grant, the institute will still be built with "private funds." According to a University-commissioned study released this month, the space occupied by Smith Hall is the most feasible location for the institute because it is close to other science buildings, which would make the new building more convenient and less costly. Aiken said he is disappointed with the outcome of the meeting, adding that if the commission decides against the University, "increased costs could seriously jeopardize the program." "In my judgment, this program is essential to having a great University in the 21st Century," Aiken said. Vice President for Facilities Management Arthur Gravina said yesterday that although the University is applying for the grant from the Defense Department, research would not have to be defense related. But History and Sociology of Science graduate student Julie Johnson, whose department will be uprooted if Smith Hall is demolished, said she thinks if the Defense Department funds the institute, some of the research will be for defense. "Otherwise the money could come through Health and Human Services . . . or the National Science Foundation," she said. Johnson and other H & SS department members said they were pleased with yesterday's commission decision. Graduate Chairperson Judith McGaw said last night that nearly 20 department members attended the meeting to encourage the commission to delay its decision. She said the University has not considered all possible sites. At yesterday's meeting, three of the seven committee members said they will abstain from a final vote because of "connections" to the University.