A pre-dinner reception featured research projects and current exhibits which show off recent achievements of Engineering students, including a video of the school's entry in General Motors' Sunraycer solar-powered car competition. After the dinner, several annual awards were given out. Associate Professor of Computer Science Max Mintz won the S. Reid Warren, Jr. Award for Distinguished Teaching. John Sockman, an Engineering graduate student, picked up the E. Stuart Eichert, Jr. Student Award. Dana Scott, a professor of computer science at Carnegie Mellon University, received the Harold Pender Award for his work in computer science. Former Engineering Dean Joseph Bordogna was honored with the D. Robert Yarnell Alumni Award for his service to the school. Two Engineering staff members, Denise Gilbert and Frank Brown, were also honored for their contributions. Engineering Dean Gregory Farrington addressed the gathering in the featured speech of the evening. He spoke about "not only educating technologists to be humane, but to educate non-technologists about what it means to think in terms of technology." He called science and technology "the driving force of our society." -- Drew Zoller