Two-hundred students who failed to turn in their immunization and physical forms to Student Health Service have been blocked from using PARIS to pre-register for spring semester classes, according to Vernell Edwards, the Student Health immunization coordinator. To regain access to the phone registration system, students must either turn in the forms or give Edwards a good reason why they have not. When the students call PARIS, instead of hearing the expected verification and list of class choices, they hear a computerized voice say "Sorry, you are on hold and not eligible to register for this term. For assistance, please check with your divison office," according to University Registrar Ronald Sanders. The warning, according to Student Health Director MarJeanne Collins, is designed to get the attention of "people who have ignored the process." Edwards said he gave students several chances to turn in their forms before resorting to barring them from pre-registration. Several reminders were mailed last spring, during the summer, and during the current semester. Students were also sent a registered letter reminder, which they signed to verify that they received it. Edwards said that if a student can provide him with an adequate explanation as to why the forms have not been filed, he can change the student's status. Since PARIS started November 5, Edwards has been contacted by about 50 students. He said the main excuse was forgetfulness. "Many students knew in the back of their minds that this was going to happen," he said. Collins said the policy was inspired by an increase in the appearance of potentially harmful diseases among college students, which could be prevented by vaccinations.