The report, compiled by the Provost's Office, also states that men and women had almost identical acceptance rates into full professorship over the last ten years. But despite the equal acceptance rates, the report also shows that only five women, compared to 21 men, achieved tenure last year, and only 56 woman, as opposed to 193 men, have gotten the status over the last ten years. The study also states, however, that only eight women applied for tenure, while 35 men sought it last year. Over the past ten years, 108 women and 361 men have been reviewed for tenure. About 52 percent of faculty members who sought tenure since 1980 were given the status the report says. The data, which appears in this week's Almanac, also shows that of those faculty members who did not achieve tenure, they were most likely to be denied at the school level. Approximately 15 percent of all faculty who reviewed for tenure in the last ten years were rejected by their respective school. The study deals with only so-called "timely" reviews -- those conducted during the fifth or sixth year for assistant professors and during the third or fourth year for untenured associate professors. -- Peter Spiegel