Although recycling of glass, aluminum, paper and plastic is not yet mandatory in private West Philadelphia residences, students who want to recycle their trash have a local option. The Spruce Hill Recycling Center at 45th and Spruce streets will pick up separated newspaper, mixed paper, computer paper, aluminum cans and bottles on the first and third Saturdays of each month, according to Marwan Kreidie, a staffer in the city's Commercial Recycling Department. The pickup locations nearest campus are 40th and Walnut streets, 42nd Street and Baltimore Avenue, and 42nd and Locust streets. Students can leave their separated trash at those locations. Students can also drop off their recyclable trash at the center. Starting September 26, a new law will require educational institutions to recycle aluminium, office paper, corrugated paper, leaf waste and any other materials. The law will also require superintendents of buildings housing seven units or more to arrange a recycling plan for their tenants. Students living in buildings with less than seven units must do their own recycling. There is no city-funded curb-side pickup in West Philadelphia due to funding shortages. The northeast and northwest parts of the city do have pickup, Kreidie said. Students said that even though recycling is inconvenient, they will still try to do it. Kent Mortimer, a College sophomore who lives in a house on 40th and Sansom streets, said that he and his roommates take their garbage to the recycling center on the first and third Saturday of the month. The University's dormitory recycling plan began this semester. Bins will be provided for aluminum and mixed paper. Associate Director of Residential Living Flora Lea Louden said last week that the recycling program in the dormitories has been "quite successful."