President Sheldon Hackney last night all but took Greek organizations out of the running for a chance to live in the Castle, saying neither a sorority nor a fraternity would likely be considered as possible tenants. In last Friday night's address to a group of students at Hillel, the president stated only that another fraternity would not move into the house. He said he expects a group to occupy the house, located at 36th Street and Locust Walk, next semester. Hackney said last night that he has not yet decided who will live in the building, which was formerly occupied by the Psi Upsilon fraternity. The prominent house was left vacant in May after the University kicked Psi Upsilon off campus as punishment for kidnapping a member of the Delta Psi fraternity. Since it was vacated, the house has figured centrally in the University's discussions of diversifying Locust Walk. Last semester, the president announced that he wanted to bring a more diverse residential population to the center of campus, which he said is dominated by white, male fraternities. Sorority leaders said last night that they are disappointed by Hackney's decision to exclude sororities from his considerations. They said putting women on the Walk would be a major step towards diversification. Chi Omega sorority tops a long waiting list of sororities requesting houses on campus. Earlier this week, Chi Omega members expressed an interest in moving into the newly vacated Castle house. Several Chi Omega members declined to comment last night. Panhellenic Association President Anita Hsueh said last night that she was surprised by Hackney's decision because "he did not even inform us about what was going on." "Our chapter is more diverse than any other interest group on campus, and certainly than any other fraternity," said Hsueh, a Kappa Delta sorority member. "It's really disappointing to me because in a previous letter to [Hackney] I had expressed to him my concern for the safety of sorority members who mostly live off campus." And Delta Delta Delta President Laura Lazarus said that while she was not surprised by Hackney's decision, she thinks it was unfair. "I definitely think that a number one priority should be women on Locust Walk," College senior Lazarus said. "A sorority would have brought a more relaxed atmosphere [to the Walk]." But Lazarus also said that she understands why Hackney is excluding sororities in his attempt to diversify Locust Walk. "I do realize it's not fair that the Greek system has the only access to Locust Walk," she said. "I don't think it's realistic or fair to the rest of the University community." Minority and women's group leaders said last night that they are pleased with Hackney's decision to fill the Castle with a strictly non-Greek group of students. College senior Anne Package, who is active in women's issues on campus, said last night that she believes that preventing Greek organizations from receiving another place on the Walk may open the center of campus up to the entire community. "A Greek group of any kind would not bring the diversity [Hackney] is looking for," Package said. "I think it's better for people with an interest in diversity to be in the center of campus." And Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Alliance Co-Chairperson Robin Woods said last night that she is "very pleased with [Hackney's decision] as first step" towards diversifying Locust Walk. "I personally would not neccessarily rule out sororities from the beginning," Woods said. "But I'm happy that diversity on the Walk has started."