As a residential advisor, Wharton junior David Kaufman was instructed in the ways of ethnic and racial awareness, fire hazards and the University's alcohol policy. Zoology was not part of his training. But after High Rise North resident Audra Bernstein and her roommates discovered a small mouse swimming in their kitchen sink yesterday morning, Kaufman was their only hope. "I didn't know what to do," the College sophomore said. "It was doing the doggie paddle." A week-old clog had left the sink full of water. Bernstein called the High Rise North desk. A desk worker offered to call Physical Plant. But University employees contacted during the course of the day declined to assist her with the hairy situation, even though University policy prohibits pets in the dormitories. And High Rise North records show that mousecalls must wait until regular business hours. A Physical Plant worker who last night claimed to have received the call said that his mechanics have no time for mousecapades on Sundays. "Emergencies only," said the worker, who identified himself only as Bill. Bernstein said yesterday that she was willing to undertake the urgent rodent removal herself, but feared that her suburban New York upbringing left her unprepared for the task. "I would have done it it's just that I figured that somebody else would have had mouse experience," Bernstein said. Called onto the scene in the early evening, RA Kaufman quickly sized up the situation, creating high-tech pest-disposal equipment out of a styrofoam cup, a wire coat hanger and a red aluminum recycling bin. "Everything is in my job description," said Kaufman, makeshift mousecatcher in hand.