As fraternities held their final keg parties last night, students and fraternity members alike lamented the consequences of the new Interfraternity Council's "bring your own booze" party policy. The rules, which take effect today, say that guests at fraternity parties can bring a maximum of 12 cans of beer to parties and will have to present proof of age to professional bouncers before entering with the alcohol. The rules state that guests must turn in alcohol upon entering a party and claim it by presenting a ticket. Both Greek and non-Greek students said that the BYOB policy will force fraternities to throw smaller parties and hold more mixers between fraternities and sororities, closing off the fraternity social scene to many students. "If you don't know a lot of brothers, it's going to be harder to get invited," Acacia brother Brian Baxt said last night. Saying that "free-flowing alcohol is a social lubricant," the College junior predicted that fraternity parties will lose their atmosphere. Many non-fraternity members also said that new students will have a harder time getting involved in the fraternity social scene. "It will be especially tough for freshmen," College freshman Leanne Mos said. "If you don't know any upperclassmen in the fraternity, then you're kind of out in the cold." Mos said the BYOB policy will make parties too elitist. Fraternity brothers said that though the new policy looks effective on paper, partygoers and brothers are already looking into ways to circumvent the policy. "I definitely think people will find ways around [the alcohol policy," Sigma Alpha Mu brother Monte Mann said. "As far as I can tell, people are trying to find ways to get around it -- within the rules," Baxt said. Some students said that they think the policy will force fraternities to provide more entertainment at the parties. Chapters will be able to charge for the parties at which they do not serve alcohol. The IFC changed its alcohol policy because of insurance policies which 20 out of 26 fraternities hold. These policies prohibit chapter purchases of alcohol for parties and will not cover injuries which occur at parties where the chapter buys alcohol. Andrew Libby contributed to this story.