The Daily Pennsylvanian is a student-run nonprofit.

Please support us by disabling your ad blocker on our site.

In the first incident, the kitchen of Stouffer Dining Commons needed to be ventilated after a student worker accidentally mixed ammonia and chlorine bleach forming hazardous ammonia chloride, according to Dining Services Director William Canney. Canney added that no one was injured in the incident and the dangerous fumes dissipated soon afterwards. According to Associate Chemistry Professor William Brennan, ammonia chloride can irritate the upper respiratory system, but because it was in such a small concentration at the dining commons, its threat was almost negligible. Canney emphasized that such incidents are rare saying that Dining Services provides safety training sessions at the beginning of each year. In an unrelated incident Thursday evening, the recreation room in the basement of Stouffer flooded with two inches of water. The cause of the problem was unknown, Canney said, but the room was reopened Friday for lunch. The flood in the recreation room which serves students from some of the Quadrangle's Community houses was quickly kept under control, Canney added. Damon Chetson

Comments powered by Disqus

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Daily Pennsylvanian.