sprint-football-josh-trybus-caldwell-october-20-2018-2

Senior Josh Trybus has been an invaluable player for Penn sprint football the past three years, contributing on both the offensive and defensive sides of the field.

The Daily Pennsylvanian asked Penn sprint football's Josh Trybus 15 questions about his sport, his time at Penn, and his life overall. Here's what the senior had to say.

1. Tell me a little bit about yourself.

I am a senior in Wharton studying finance and business analytics. I played football my whole life, and going to Penn, I wanted to keep playing, and I got recruited to play. I have had a great experience the past couple years learning, and now I am one of the captains on the team for this season.

2. How would you describe your Penn sprint football experience?

I would say it has been awesome. The network in sprint football has been exceptional. Seeing the guys coming before us and staying connected with them after they graduate and as you work up the ranks to being an upperclassman is something that has been really special for the program in the past and has continued for us as seniors and is something I really appreciate and think the whole team does as well.

3. If you had to pick, what is one word you would use to describe the team?

Driven. There's no real reason why we play, besides that we love playing the sport. Going along with class schedules and all the extracurriculars that people are involved with, it adds up to a lot. The kids that play are just really driven in all aspects of their life, and they really put a full effort into the team, and it is a really special community.

4. What has been your fondest memory while on the team?

Making it to the championship game my freshman year. Falling short to Army, we had a great season that year. It is something we as seniors were able to build off the next couple of years to try to get back to that spot.

5. Do you have a specific hype song? If so, what is it?

I would not say I have a specific hype song; I am not that big into music.

6. What's your favorite post game snack?

We always have a full dinner after the game. The postgame dinners with the family and team are definitely one of my favorite meals of the week and all during the season.

7. Why did you start playing football?

I probably started playing when I was in first grade. I have always been very competitive and into athletics. I played basketball, football, baseball, and it was something I really wanted to pursue and fell in love with.

8. Who or what inspires you?

What inspires us as a team are all the successful people that have come through the program in the past and seeing that we have a great mentor program as well. Just being able to use those resources to see where we can get to is something that drives the team as a whole and something I really look to for success in the future.

9. Do you have a specific football idol? If so, who?

Russell Wilson, quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks.

10. How do you feel about not being able to play this season?

The team is trying to stay very optimistic. It was unfortunate that they had to cancel in the fall, but we are still preparing like we are going to have a season in the spring. That is the goal and what everyone is really working towards. I think that if we are able to compete in the spring, it will be a great season for the team.

11. What are you doing to stay in shape because of this?

At home, I was working out in my house with some weights and going to my high school gym as well, but now, back on campus, I am trying to stay in shape by running and finding any weights that I can and really trying to do any workouts that are really possible without the gym environment, but trying to stay in shape because we are really preparing like we are going to have a season in the spring. We just have to be ready.

12. What has been your favorite quarantine activity?

Definitely golf. I spent a lot of the summer golfing. It is something I really enjoy.

13. What do you personally think is the hardest thing about football?

I would say being mentally tough, a lot of times. Especially in sprint football, a lot of the players may not be the biggest or the strongest, so you have to be mentally tough, whether that means preparation before the game or taking some of the hits during the game. It can sometimes add up to a lot just being able to keep your mind in the right place not only to finish the game, but to compete at a high level.

14. What is something the typical person would not know about you?

For high school football, we were three-time state champions. We had a winning streak of 47 games from my sophomore to my senior year.

15. Do you have a certain team you have enjoyed playing against the most?

I would say Army because it is always great playing the academies we play during the year. We form some kind of rivalry with them because they will always be very competitive within the league, and we hope to be as well.