gabby-rosenzweig-wlax-vs-dartmouth-2

Gabby Rosenzweig has flourished as an attacker as a Quaker despite never playing the position before she arrived at Penn. She starred as a defensive midfielder in high school. 

Credit: Son Nguyen

Not many athletes can claim that they are the best at their position in program history, especially if they switched into that position in the middle of their career. Senior attacker Gabby Rosenzweig may already have that right, and she keeps getting better. 

Rosenzweig has made a name for herself in the Ivy League over the last four years, earning two first team All-Ivy nods, including a unanimous selection last season. She led the Quakers in points and assists and was in the top three in goals scored over the past two years. But coming into Penn, attacker was not her natural position. Or so she thought.

Rosenzweig began playing lacrosse in third grade, with her father, who played in college, serving as her primary coach until her high school years. As a defensive midfielder in high school, Rosenzweig had to be proficient in both offense and defense, but specialized much more in defense. 

As a freshman at Penn, however, the team was short of attackers, specifically those who play behind the net, and Rosenzweig was thrust into that role. Despite her initial surprise at the position change, coach Karin Corbett said that it was all part of the plan.

“We knew her strengths were on the attacking end, so we knew we were going to make her an attacker when we recruited her,” Corbett said.

Playing behind the net is a unique position in lacrosse, one which requires elite field vision and accuracy on both passes and shots. For Rosenzweig to grow into an elite attacker, not only did she have to practice her skills, but she also had to spend hours in the film room. 

“I watched so much film on past Penn players who were great at seeing the field and assisting, and I owe our attacking coach [Kerri Whitaker] so much for that, because she spent so much time with me going over film, watching myself, watching other people, [and] learning about how to be a great crease attacker," Rosenzweig said.

Rosenzweig’s hard work paid off relatively quickly, as she became one of the team’s most experienced attackers as just a sophomore. She took a leadership role both on and off the field for the Quakers, and that has led to much success. Rosenzweig had 85 points as a sophomore, playing a key role on a team that won the Ivy League. 

In her junior season, she finished with 98 points and 65 assists, both of which are Penn single-season records. Despite the tremendous amount of success she has had over the last three years, Rosenzweig still credits her teammates with elevating her game.

“I owe a lot of that to my teammates, who are amazing cutters and finishers, and I wouldn’t be able to have as many points as I did or be as successful if I didn’t have my teammates supporting me and finishing a lot of the passes and looks that I give them,” she said.

In her fourth and final season as a member of the Quakers, Rosenzweig is focused on the team’s success, specifically getting back to the success that is Penn women's lacrosse expects.

“I want an outright Ivy championship. I want to get to the Final Four," Rosenzweig said. "I have really big dreams for us, and I think the whole team has really bought in on those dreams, so I’m really excited about that."

Corbett echoed Rosenzweig’s sentiments, citing a much more balanced attack than in previous years as a reason the Quakers can reclaim their throne. For Rosenzweig, this season is about passing the torch to younger players and creating lasting memories with the team. 

“My teammates are my best friends, and it’s just so fun going out on the field with them everyday,” she said.

With a three-goal, five-assist performance in the season opener against No. 19 Georgetown last Saturday, Rosenzweig is continuing to wreak havoc on opposing defenses in the new season. 

The Quakers will resume their non-conference play against Johns Hopkins on Saturday at Franklin Field. Rosenzweig will attempt to add to her impressive career and lead the Quakers to another victory.