dr-giang-nguyen
Credit: Sophia Lee

Executive Director Giang Nguyen of Student Health Service will leave Penn after over a decade to lead Harvard University Health Services as its executive director. He will assume the new position Nov. 18, Chief Wellness Officer Benoit Dubé announced Thursday. 

Dubé did not address specific questions on the timeline of the search process for Nguyen’s replacement. However, he wrote in an email to The Daily Pennsylvanian that once Nguyen leaves his post, Dubé will take on some of Nguyen’s responsibilities with the help of the SHS chief operating officer and the SHS medical director. 

"We are committed to maintaining the excellent level of care Penn students have come to expect under Dr. Nguyen’s stewardship. I will be assisted by Erika Gross, Chief Operating Officer of Student Wellness Services, and Dr. Vanessa Stoloff, Medical Director of the Student Health Service, to ensure things continue to run smoothly once Dr. Nguyen assumes his new leadership role at Harvard in November," Dubé wrote.

Nguyen has held the top position at SHS since 2015 but has been affiliated for over a decade. He earned a Master of Science in Clinical Epidemiology at the Perelman School of Medicine in 2007 and has been a part of Penn’s faculty since.

Nguyen has focused on promoting healthcare access for diverse populations. He started the Penn Asian Health Initiatives program at the Medical School, giving out 3,000 vaccinations to the Asian American community in Philadelphia. 

Harvard’s announcement highlighted Nguyen’s commitment to diversity and mentioned the fact that in his term leading SHS, Penn achieved National Leader status in the Healthcare Equality Index.  

"Throughout his career, Giang has been committed to advancing diversity, inclusion, and belonging in his communities,” read Harvard’s announcement, which was signed by Provost Alan Garber and Executive Vice President Katie Lapp. "He has also led and collaborated with organizations that focus on racial and ethnic minorities, immigrants, and LGBTQ populations, particularly transgender people."