panera-bread-40th-walnut-harvest

Harvest closed indefinitely after a fire in January 2017 to repair damage to the building, but four months later officials announced it would not reopen.

Credit: Sam Holland

A Panera Bread restaurant will open this spring in the vacant space on 40th and Walnut streets, where the popular Harvest Seasonal Grill and Wine Bar once operated

Facilities and Real Estate Services spokesperson Jen Rizzi confirmed in an emailed statement, "the anticipated opening timeline for Panera at this location is Spring 2019."

The building appears to be undergoing construction, and on the fence surrounding the site, two identical signs read "Opening soon" with Panera's signature logo and its slogan, "Food as it should be."

Panera has over 2,000 "bakery-cafes" in the United States and Canada according to its website, and offers baked goods, soups, salads, and sandwiches. 

Panera has not responded to immediate requests for comment. In 2017, Ed Datz, the executive director of Real Estate at FRES, told The Daily Pennsylvanian that FRES and the retail broker were working to find a new tenant to fill the space.

"The goal is to find a tenant that will appeal to both the University and surrounding community," Datz said at the time.