image_uploaded_from_ios
Credit: James Meadows

A robbery was reported at TD Bank on 3735 Walnut Street, prompting an initial UPenn Alert and a subsequent "all clear" alert on April 25. The bank is across the street from Huntsman Hall and a few doors west of Pottruck Health and Fitness Center. 

The Division of Public Safety website described the perpetrator as a black male, 6′ tall, around 50 years old, weighing approximately 200 pounds. He reportedly had a black beard, wore a green hat, sunglasses, and work boots.

According to Maureen Rush, vice president for public safety and superintendent of Penn Police, the perpetrator approached one of the bank tellers and handed them a “demand note” after which tellers handed him a bag of money containing a hidden GPS tracking device. Rush said one of the bank employees triggered a silent alarm at approximately 4:18 p.m. prompting Penn Police to arrive at the scene within minutes.

Rush noted that there were no weapons seen during the crime and is unclear if the suspect is armed.

Following the perpetrator's departure from the bank, a pile of clothes suspected to belong to the robber was found behind Pottruck. The GPS signal connected to the bag of money cut out around the corner of 33rd and Chestnut where Penn Police are currently on scene in the area.

“I cannot judge if [the perpetrator] is experienced or not, but what I can tell that he is trying his best to evade authorities,” Rush said.

Following the robbery, the bank has been closed as FBI investigators have been viewing surveillance footage and interviewing bank staff members, Rush said. Bank robberies are considered a federal crime and under the jurisdiction of the FBI.

An unconnected robbery occurred at the same TD Bank roughly six months ago in November when a woman pulled a gun on tellers and demanding money. Rush described the crime as a "very unusual situation."

The suspect was last reported heading east on Walnut St., according to DPS.

According to Rush, the robbery marks the 8th so far this year, which is lower than previous years.

“With all the security technology today, it is generally not a good idea to rob a bank,” she said.