squad
Credit: Carson Kahoe

The Heterodox Academy Guide to Colleges, released Oct. 19, rated America’s top 150 universities by the diversity of viewpoints on campus. The Ivy League scored poorly.

The College Fix notes that only Princeton University was able to score in the top 25, followed by Columbia University, Penn and Dartmouth College in the top 50. Other Ivy Leaguers placed toward the bottom as Harvard University and Brown University tied with Rutgers University, Northwestern University and New York University for second-to-last place.

A school’s score was based on its adherence to theUniversity of Chicago’sPrinciples on Freedom of Expression. This includes whether  free speech is upheld in school’s speech codes, whether the school is supportive of conservative and libertarian students and whether any events since 2014 have demonstrated a commitment or rejection of viewpoint diversity.

Penn scored a 43.75, tying with 14 other schools including Columbia, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the California Institute of Technology.  The colors green, yellow and red were used to rank schools, with green being the most diverse and red the least. Penn scoredgreen in school speech codes and yellow in support of both conservative and libertarian students.