img_4270

This past Monday the Kelly Writers House hosted 'LIVE at the Writers House', a radio broadcast that brings together a diverse group of writers on WXPN. | DP File Photo

Credit: Olly Liu

Six times a year, the Kelly Writers House adds radio to its repertoire.

LIVE at the Writers House brings together a diverse group of writers broadcasted on WXPN-88.5 FM — through the Kelly Writers House. On Monday, performers included Amanda Miska, editor-in-chief of Split Lip Magazine, Laura A. Warman, founder of Glass Press, Rachel Milligan, finalist in the 2015 BOAAT Summer Chapbook Competition, poet Die Ashley, short story writer Madeleine Dubus, editor P.E. Garcia and musical guest Sunny Ali.

“I know that there are writers that for whatever reason you don’t hear about that much,” series producer Alli Katz said, explaining why she reached out to P.E. Garcia to help in choosing performers.

Garcia met most of the guests through various publications he had worked for. He said he looked for people who are “underrepresented” and “not within the mainstream.”

As the host of Monday’s show, Katz asked each writer several questions regarding the background information on their chosen piece or pieces. The audience would then fall silent as the artist began to perform, giving way to applause signaling the end.

Each work was filled with pain, sadness or melancholy. Topics of escaping abusive relationships, loneliness and emptiness filled the quaint setting of the Writers House. Though they hailed from various genres of publication, it is clear that they all share the commonality of expressing emotion.

While every broadcast consists of an hour of artistic performances accompanied by one musical guest, there is no articulated common thread to tie it all together. Some of the broadcasts are centered around a collective theme, such as Metropolarity, the first broadcast of the semester. Others have overt themes — one revolved around art critics. Still others, like the Nov. 30 broadcast, are simply a collection of writers from the Philadelphia area.

The radio show is organized by the program coordinator, Katz, facilitated by the longstanding partnership with WXPN.

“I like [to] use it as an opportunity to bring lots of people from around Philadelphia and showcase the amazing writing that’s happening,” Katz said. “But also knowing that someone tuning into the radio Monday at 10 p.m. is going to hear what’s happening at the Writers House and hear these amazing writers.”

“Every day is something new and something so interesting,” Katz said. “The Writers House is a big community.”