womens_health

Free condoms are among Penn’s array of sexual health offerings.

Credit: Olly Liu

Student Health Service prides itself on its commitment to maintaining the health and wellness of Penn women through its Women’s Health Services section. However, many undergraduates may not be aware of the services they offer. Women’s Health at Penn can be a more familiar alternative to finding an off-campus health provider or seeking out a Planned Parenthood office.

Sexual health services have become more available to students in recent years. In the 2013-14 academic year, SHS tried out a new program making condoms available for free by request, rather than charging $3. The program has continued to be successful and fully instated. Last semester, SHS made the generic version of emergency contraception — commonly known as Plan B — available without an appointment, so students could simply pick it up for $20 at the desk. This is instead of $35 at Planned Parenthood and $49.99 for the brand name at CVS.

Women’s Health is covered by health insurance, which Penn requires all students to have — either private or through Penn’s system. “Most Women’s Health care is provided at no additional cost to all full-time matriculating students who have paid the clinical fee. As with all care, there can be laboratory and procedure costs for some services,” SHS Executive Director Giang T. Nguyen said in an email.