franklinfield

Credit: Ilana Wurman , Ilana Wurman, Ilana Wurman

The Frank is back.

After being closed for the entire summer, Penn’s historic Franklin Field has reopened for the first time since Commencement ceremonies following extensive renovations to its track.

According to Director of Athletic Communications Mike Mahoney, the project cost approximately $3 million in total, funded largely by donations. These donations were raised through a project led by Penn alumni Elliot and Gail Rogers.

While this project’s scope seemingly pales in comparison to that of Franklin Field’s 2010 renovation effort, which cost some $25 million and focused on the facility’s newly-redone Weiss Pavilion, the summer-long project did result in a complete overhaul and replacement of the facility’s track surface. This process consisted of creating an entirely new base for the surface through milling and repaving, as opposed to simply reapplying a new superficial surface.

Ultimately, though, the purpose of the renovations was, at least in part, to keep the track’s competitive quality in line with other hubs for track and field across the nation — most notably Hayward Field, Oregon’s track and the host of outdoor track Nationals in the spring. Historically, the unconventional setup and dimensions of Franklin Field’s track have hindered its acceptance by the NCAA, and the new renovations take several measures to address this.

The facility now features a steeplechase pit on the inside of its track, a much more standard position compared to its previous placement on the outside. The renovations also allow for more easily accessible and NCAA-certified sprint and hurdle lanes, jumps areas and pole-vault pits. These logistical adjustments, in addition to nine newly laid running lanes, should theoretically improve the facility’s standing among the nation’s top tracks.

While the renovations were, importantly, completed in time for Penn football’s home opener against Dartmouth, the project was not completed by its previously announced target of early September. According to Penn Athletics, these delays were caused by multiple logistical difficulties, which were concentrated in the project’s measurement and surveying stages.

Since its opening in 1895, the Frank has seen more than its fair share of renovations. And by the look of things, it hasn’t seen the last of them.

In August, Penn Athletics announced its plans to continue renovations on Franklin Field’s facilities, and specifically on the north side of the stadium, over the next year. During these renovations, seating on the north side of the stadium will be closed.

The project does buy Penn some time in terms of renovations to its physical track. However, given the extensive wear and tear the facility sustains on a yearly basis, the track will likely need to be resurfaced once again within the next couple decades, but not within the next 10 years.

The historic facility will resume its normal operations, most notably hosting Penn football’s practices and home games and serving as a publicly open track on weekdays. Later in the year, it will also play host to the 121st running of the Penn Relays and to the university’s annual Spring Fling concert.

In the meantime, the renovated stadium will make its de facto public debut on Oct. 3, when Penn football plays host to Dartmouth in the team’s home opener.