unicouncil

The last meeting of the University Council was held yesterday in Houston Hall.

While rain poured outside, members of the Penn community congregated to discuss improvements made to the University in the past year, and what improvements could be made going forward.

The University Council’s last meeting of the semester was held April 22 in Houston Hall. It served as a wrap-up and forum where the various University Council Committees could present their reports and recommendations for future development.

Although the meeting is open to the Penn community, the vast majority of attendees were members of various committees, along with administrators and Penn President Amy Gutmann.

Presentations were made by an assortment of committees.

Attendees discussed the issue of better programming for international students, particularly at the beginning of the year, as well as engaging more with local schools associated with Penn, such as the Penn Alexander School.

“We should engage more actively with the community,” Chair of the Committee on Campus and Community Rebecca Maynard said. “We have not done this in a big way … our access to data is much more erratic, we think we could have a more systemic approach it.”

The Council also addressed the issue of reporting sexual misconduct or related misbehaviors online. The Committee on Campus and Community noted a flaw in the online portal system, saying “if you were inside Penn you had much easier access than if you were outside.”

Attendees also discussed the question of same sex partner benefits. “It did make sense to change out of same sex partner benefits, but it would make sense to wait until the Supreme Court ruling,” Chair of the Committee on Personnel Benefits Reed Shuldiner said.

No new business or questions followed the reports, but Maureen Rush, vice president of Public Safety, congratulated Penn students on their Fling, and the fact that there was “no new damage to the quad.”

“This is our last University Council for the year, but we are galloping to the end of the year,” Gutmann said, closing the meeting.