jerome_fired_3

Along with teammate Tim Krug, current Penn coach Jerome Allen played on three consecutive Ivy title teams in the early 1990s. Allen was fired informed he would not return to the program last Monday.

Tim Krug played for the Penn basketball program from 1992 through 1996, including a three-year period in which he played alongside two-time Ivy League Player of the Year and current coach Jerome Allen. Krug spoke to The Daily Pennsylvanian on Monday about  Allen's firing and what he views Penn Athletics must do in searching for a new coach. 

Daily Pennsylvanian: What was your initial reaction when you heard the news that coach Allen will not be coming back next year?

Tim Krug: I think the way I felt about it -- and a number of people I've talked to sort of express the same thing -- is that it's not shocking but it is disappointing. It hasn't been a good few years and I think we all kind of were hoping that he would have the opportunity to get the ship righted. But unfortunately, they've made the decision that they don't want to continue on this path. It's unfortunate for him, unfortunate for the kids that are there and it's a shame because it seems like they were well on their way to getting the ship righted.

DP: Had you spoken with coach Allen recently about the shape of the team and how this season was going?

TK: Not specifically. I would see him a few times per year and we would talk about the team a little bit. I think [the coaches] were more frustrated than anybody that they weren't seeing the success they had worked so hard for. I'm sure there has been alumni pressure on the administration and they've felt the pressure to put a successful team out there, but I don't think anyone has been under more pressure than the coaching staff to get the team going in the right direction. From my conversations with all the coaches, I know they've been frustrated, they're working extremely hard and it means a lot to all of them. Between Jerome, [assistant coach] Ira [Bowman] and [assistant coach] Nat [Graham], they all played here and they know what it means to be successful at Penn. I don't think there's anybody who could be more driven to turn the program around again and get it where it belongs than those guys do.

DP: Do you have any idea why the team did not succeed as well it could have given the talented recruits coach Allen brought in?

TK: Not really. It's hard to judge from the outside, but people will do it and cast their opinions as to why the team wasn't successful. But if you take a step back -- which is hard for a lot of people to do -- and look at the situation that Jerome walked into, he came from playing overseas and was handed a Division I head coaching job with the task of resurrecting a program that was winless [Penn was 0-7 when Allen was named interim head coach in 2009-10]. He literally had about as close to no coaching experience as you can get. Here's a guy who is as talented of a basketball player you can imagine who is being given a job that he has limited experience for. He was given a huge job and was expected to learn the job on the fly. Just being a player doesn't necessarily teach you how to be a coach. I think it's been extremely difficult for him. I think he'd be the first to admit they made some mistakes along the way and they recognize what they are, but they could turn it around. I think they're right on the brink of making things right and it's kind of sad that they aren't going to be the ones to fully turn things around.

DP: Given the fact that coach Allen did have some time left on his contract, was there an expectation that he would be able to fulfill that contract or was the writing on the wall?

TK: There's always been the talk and the rumors and the questions swirling. There's no question that a number of people out there who are alumni donors that have the administration's ear because of their contributions to the University. They just want to see wins and success, and many of them probably aren't close enough to the game that they understand. Also, the fact that [Director of Athletics Grace Calhoun] is new to the job, this is her first year, there certainly was the concern that she was going to want to come in and make a change or put her person in there to put her stamp on Penn Athletics. She came in and said she was going to give Jerome at least a year and see how it went, which is at least a good start. I think everyone was a little bit wary of the situation knowing that a firing was a possibility but all the while hoping that it would be allowed to play itself out.

DP: Have you spoken to coach Allen since the news broke?

TK: I saw him briefly in the locker room after the game on Saturday night. He wasn't down or depressed, he was upbeat and positive. He was really happy for the team and how they performed on Friday and Saturday night. Going into the season, they were picked to finish seventh or eighth, so his point is that people have been doubting them but they are going to wrap things up on a strong note and finish as well as they can. That's his outlook, it's to be positive.

DP: As someone who has been around the program the way you have, you've seen different types of people be associated with it. What do you think is next in looking for the next Penn basketball coach?

TK: I've seen a handful of names mentioned. I think that [Penn Athletics has] a tough job ahead of them in terms of replacing Jerome. It's going to be tough because you need to bring someone in who is going to be expected to compete and win Ivy League titles. That's the precedent they're setting. But it's not an easy job to coach an Ivy League team, there's not many schools left that don't offer scholarships and it makes it that much tougher to get talented players. Personally, I wish I got a vote in the decision because to me it's a no-brainer who the next coach should be.

DP: If you had to pick, who would it be?

TK: I don't see how you can have a list that doesn't have Steve Donahue's name in big bold letters at the top. He coached here under two outstanding coaches ... and went on to do phenomenal things at Cornell. He won three Ivy titles at a school that had never competed for Ivy titles. He has the resume, he has the history, he is a Philadelphia guy and has ties back to the successful years like Jerome did. I think his name has to be at the top of the list. I think a lot of the former players and people close to the program ... I think it's common to have Steve Donahue's name close to the top of those people's lists.