kesha_2011

Kesha performing in 2011. By Peter Neill, Creative Commons.

Get ready to party like you’re going to “Die Young” — artists Kesha and Kygo are coming to Penn’s 2015 Spring Fling for a performance students won’t forget.

With hit songs including “Your Love is my Drug,” “TiK ToK” and “We R Who We R,” Kesha is an “iconic” pop artist,” Social Planning and Events Committee Concerts co-Director Suvadip Choudhury said. Her first of many chart-topping singles was released in 2010.

Opening act Kygo, a Norwegian DJ now famous in the United States, gained a following at Penn after his concert in Philadelphia last semester, Choudhury said. His hit remixes include “I See Fire” by Ed Sheeran, “Midnight” by Coldplay and his single “Firestone” with vocals by Conrad.

The headliner was released on Facebook when Kesha herself posted a status saying she will be performing at Penn, which SPEC confirmed with the video released on their YouTube channel.

Choudhury said the student survey that SPEC administered last semester was influential in the process of selecting an artist. Although Spring Fling has featured electronic music artists for the past several years, such as David Guetta in 2014, electronic was once again the most popular genre favored in the survey.

“We still heard that a lot of people were tired with electronic, which is why we think Kygo is a good option” for the opener, Choudhury said. “We think that even students who didn’t vote for electronic will like it.” Kygo is a versatile electronic artist whose music appeals to a broad range of tastes, Choudhury said.

In the survey, Kesha’s name was specifically mentioned by Penn students. “When we heard she was available, it became clear pretty quickly that she was our best option,” Choudhury said.

Although specifics about the artists’ performances have not been released, due to the strong stage presences of both artists, students at Penn can expect an “explosive stage show,” he added. Kesha’s performances are known to be especially extravagant and interactive, often involving back-up dancing, crowd interaction and lots of glitter. Kesha’s Penn concert is likely to include special additions such as confetti cannons and backup dancers.

“We believe campus is going to love it,” Choudhury said. “We can expect a performance.”

The Fling concert will take place on April 17 in Franklin Field at 8 p.m. Tickets will cost $55 for floor passes and $45 for general admission passes. Non-Penn students can purchase general admission passes for $80. The price of each type of ticket increased by $10 from last year.

The increased prices will allow SPEC to keep up with “rising costs of production,” Choudhury said.

“Even though the concert costs more than in years past, it’s actually pretty reasonable considering the price of a normal concert and the artists’ levels of fame,” Wharton freshman Emily Jiang said.

Floor passes will be distributed using the “flash sign-up” system Monday, March 23 until Sunday, March 29. Beginning on March 30 at 11 a.m., students and members of the public can purchase general admission passes.

College sophomore Luke Barbour reacted positively to the announcement. “I would say overall I’m excited. I hadn’t really planned on going to the concert — I didn’t go last year — but Kesha has some catchy songs that I enjoy. Also, I had never heard of Kygo, but after they announced, I started listening to a few of his songs on Spotify, and I really like them,” he said.

College sophomore Mark Toubman expressed more lukewarm feelings, though. “Kesha’s good I guess, because she actually has popular songs that a large segment of the Penn population will know. I’ve never heard of Kygo, but I’m sure he’s techno-ey and entertaining,” he said. But he was not sure whether he would purchase a ticket. “I don’t know if I’m willing to pay the money for the tickets. It’s expensive, and I’d rather pay for a concert that I get to pick the performer myself.”

Still, most Penn students seem to be excited by SPEC’s choice. “I haven’t listened to Kesha in so long! I’ve been listening to her latest album on Spotify to get pumped,” College freshman Nathaniel Rome said.

College sophomore Miranda Lupion also expressed excitement for the concert. “I’m thrilled that it’s Kesha — let alone an artist I’ve heard of," she said. "It’s nice that it’s someone mainstream that everyone has heard of."