countryman

Penn football wide receiver Cameron Countryman has not played since his arrest.

Credit: Michele Ozer

Penn football wide receiver Cameron Countryman — who was arrested for simple assault and reckless endangerment on Oct. 7 — will not go to trial, newly released documents show.

The College junior was given 15 months probation, which includes one anger management class he hopes to complete through CAPS and one three hour class on substance abuse education that he already completed. He will also be required to complete 50 hours of community service and pay his own court costs. He will alsobe required to complete 50 hours of community service and pay his own court costs. This resolution is part of a special pre-trial intervention program known called Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition. Countryman’s probation will be closely monitored by the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office.

The alleged assault took place on Sept. 28 after a Penn student allegedly shouted racial slurs and shoved Countryman as he was walking off-campus. When a third student — also a student-athlete — tried to intervene, Countryman allegedly knocked him to the ground.

When he was first arrested, Countryman was suspended from the football team. In October, however, he was cleared to practice with the team. Countryman played in two games during the 2014 season, but did not participate after his arrest.

Clarification: This article has been updated to reflect that Cameron was not sentenced by a court, but rather, was given an Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition by the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office.