New Penn football head coach Ray Priore didn’t waste too much time to find his replacement as defensive coordinator. A mere four days after officially seizing the program’s reins, Priore and Penn Athletics announced that current the Quakers had hired current Albany defensive coordinator Bob Benson to fill the same position with the Red and Blue. Shortly after that announcement, coach Benson spoke exclusively with The Daily Pennsylvanian about his friendship with Priore and his expectations for Penn football moving forward.

Daily Pennsylvanian : What are your initial thoughts about taking over as defensive coordinator?

Bob Benson : Well, I’m just excited to be a part of [Priore’s] new staff. When you look at what Ray has done here, they’ve always played great defense and I’m excited to get in and meet the players. I want to help to get Penn back to the top of the Ivy Keague.

DP : How did the process work to get you here? Was it something that you and Priore had talked about or a more recent development?

BB : I think it was a recent development. I’ve known Ray a long time, but we spoke right after the season was completed and two weeks later, here I am. These sorts of moves happen pretty quickly in this business.

DP : How excited are you to be back working alongside coach Priore?

BB : I’m really excited. I think as you go through this profession or any profession, you like to work with people that you know. Ray and his entire family have been good to me over the years and we’re all really close, so it’s a great honor to be here.

DP : When took over at Albany, you helped dramatically improve a defense on a team that had a six-win increase in 2014. Do you see any similarities between the team from this past year and what you’ll be doing at Penn?

BB : I think there has to be some similarities regardless of whether or not you’re bringing in a new defense. It’s important to take a close inventory and evaluation of our current players. Penn historically has played great defense and all I want to do is try to make those improvements in a very diligent and well-thought manner. That’s what I’ve always tried to do regardless of the situation.

At Towson [where Benson served as defensive coordinator from 2006 through 2007], we reduced that the team’s points per game [allowed] by 14 in the first year and then finished second in the CAA in defense my second year there. But it’s all about your players. Your players have to buy into what you’re doing, they have to respect you and I think it’s difficult to come in with new schemes and a new personality. So I have to do my job and earn their trust.

DP : Have you had much of a chance to watch Penn football of late or get a chance to know any Penn players in the past?

BB : I have to be honest, I haven’t watched any film on Penn nor have I met any player. So it’s a work in progress but we’ll get on the same page.

DP : Last season, Penn’s defense did struggle more than in most years. Given your conversations with coach Priore, do you have any idea on how to target those specific weaknesses yet?

BB : All I know is this: you need to bring in a defensive package that is going to be very sound. The players have to understand what they are expected to do. Ray is very good at what he does. I have coordinated defensive backs for 25 years, so all we’re going to try and do is improve the package. Anywhere I have ever been, we’ve been a pressure defense that forces turnovers. We’ll send 11 men to the ball. At Albany last year, we ranked very highly in the country in total turnover margin -- we’ve always forced turnovers no matter where I’ve coached. If big plays were an issue in the secondary this year, we’ll try to eliminate them as best we can.

I’m just excited to be a part of this thing and to help Penn get back to the top of the Ivy League. If there’s one thing about me that you realize when you get to know me, I want to win and that’s why I’m sitting here.