skylar_grey_at_tibet_talk_for_world_peace

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Credit: Mark G. Taylor , Mark G. Taylor

Skylar Grey will headline the Social Planning and Events Committee’s Fall Concert on Oct. 25.

This singer-songwriter from Wisconsin debuted in 2006 with the album “Like Blood Like Honey” and has collaborated with various artists. She wrote Eminem and Rihanna’s single “Love the Way You Lie,” and was featured in other singles such as Fort Minor’s “Where’d You Go” and Dr. Dre’s “I Need a Doctor.”

“Traditionally Fall Concerts feature up-and-coming artists,” said College senior Suvadip Choudhury , one of the SPEC concert directors . However, SPEC decided to change up the fall concert by featuring a “well-established artist ” to serve a more diverse group of students.

Choudhury also said that Grey is a great fit for the new venue because her acoustic music will suit World Cafe Live’s setting well . The cafe is expected to offer a more intimate musical experience to students than previous venues, such as the Harrison Auditorium of the University of Pennsylvania Musuem of Archaeology and Anthropology last year.

“I think [SPEC] is heading in the right direction,” said Ben Yang, a 2014 College graduate and last year’s SPEC Concerts co-director . “We haven’t had a female headliner for so long and she’s known for so many songs she has written as well as collaborated with.”

Despite Grey’s notable music career, students have had mixed reactions.

“I’m really excited for her to come to Penn but I don’t think a lot of people know about her,” College sophomore Erica Louie said .

“I’m looking forward to seeing someone who has collaborated with such famous people,” Engineering sophomore Jennie Fan said.

Tickets are $10 for PennCard holders and will be on sale starting Oct. 13.