01292013_shakeshack38
Shake Shack building exterior Credit: Monica Martin , Monica Martin

While the new West Philadelphia Shake Shack location will be on Drexel’s campus, Penn retailers are not worried about business.

The restaurant, owned by New York City restaurateur Danny Meyer, will be coming to 32nd and Chestnut streets this summer, an expansion from its Center City location which opened last June on 20th and Sansom.

While some may fear that Shake Shack could entice people away from restaurants on Penn’s campus, Ed Datz, executive director of Real Estate at Penn’s Facilities and Real Estate Services said, “Any new offerings are a sign of the health and vibrancy of retail in University City. I am sure Shake Shack will be frequented by students from both Drexel and Penn.”

Bobby’s Burger Palace, located on 39th and Walnut streets, has a similar dining concept to Shake Shack. However, its managers and customers are certain that Bobby’s won’t be affected by Shake Shack’s opening.

“There are plenty of students to go around,” general manager of Bobby’s Ted Ridings said.

“I think people who live near Bobby’s will continue going there,” College freshman Joanna Wollman said.

Students had different opinions about whether they would make the trip to the new Shake Shack.

“32nd Street is pretty far to go just to get a milkshake and burger,” College sophomore and Bobby’s customer Nicole Williams said.

Yet Aliza Stone, a College sophomore who is transferring to the Engineering School, added, “Engineers will probably go [to Shake Shack] a lot because it’s near the Engineering Quad and there aren’t so many options there.”

While Shake Shack may attract many Penn students, Datz said that he is not worried that Shake Shack will have a negative effect on Penn retail. He is confident that the restaurant will draw people from all over University City and that it will only be a positive development for the area.

Shake Shack will also be opening another new location at the King of Prussia Mall.

“We received such a warm welcome when we opened in Center City,” Shake Shack CEO Randy Garutti said in a press release. “It now feels like the right time to continue building our presence in Philly and the surrounding area with two new locations. We look forward to developing even stronger ties with the local community.”

The press release, which came out on Jan. 29, announced the future openings of these two new Philadelphia locations. It includes details about the University City location, stating that it will have many unique design elements, including an outdoor patio.

“We are super excited to be able to grow and expand by the colleges,” said Landon Allmendinger, one of the managers of the location on 20th and Sansom streets.