Penn Police arrested Bon Appétit employee Raymond Haywood the day before Thanksgiving for the alleged armed robbery that occurred at 1920 Commons on Nov. 15, according to the Division of Public Safety.

In addition to burglary, Haywood is charged with conspiracy and trespassing.

DPS identified the perpetrator as an employee immediately following the robbery, Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush said, adding that detectives obtained an arrest warrant from the Philadelphia Municipal Court.

“We knew who he was immediately,” she said. “It was an inside job, basically.” Haywood had been fired shortly before the incident for “other behaviors,” Rush said.

Haywood previously pled guilty to simple assault and terroristic threats in May 2005.

A spokesperson for Business Services was not available for comment.

Haywood allegedly went into hiding after the robbery, forcing detectives to send warrants across the city in search of him, Rush said. DPS worked with an FBI task force and Penn Police, ultimately arresting him without incident on Nov. 23. He has a preliminary hearing scheduled for Dec. 8, and his bond is set at $50,000.

Meanwhile, DPS is still investigating the Nov. 27 robbery at New Style Pizzeria at 41st and Chestnut streets. According to Rush, the suspect showed signs of being a repeat offender.

“The way the [suspect] acted … we believe he could be a continual threat to the community,” she said.

For this reason, DPS — along with Provost Vincent Price and Executive Vice President Craig Carnaroli — made the decision to issue a UPennAlert.

Rush clarified confusion about the decision to send out a UPennAlert, explaining that there is no exact protocol or formula that is followed. Instead, a group of about 20 DPS officials usually make the decision together.

“The UPennAlert is not about information,” she said. “As long as there’s no ongoing threat we’re not going to use the UPennAlert.”

Armed robbery reported at 1920 Commons
Robbery at 1920 Commons raises UPennAlert questions