Once you’ve settled into your dorm and navigated your way down Locust Walk, it’s time to venture out into the rest of Philadelphia, which offers restaurants, shopping and museums galore. On a student’s budget and schedule, public transportation is your best bet for getting around. It’s cheap, safe and easy to figure out.

SEPTA, the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority, is the nation’s fifth-largest public transportation system. Bus and trolley rides cost $2 onboard, or you can buy SEPTA tokens in advance for $1.45 each. Packs are available in the basement of Houston Hall, Penn Bookstore, college houses and Fresh Grocer.

Use the “Plan My Trip” link at septa.org to help find frequent destinations.

Around University City

The LUCY (Loop Through University City) bus runs through the area weekdays from 6:10 a.m. to 7 p.m. The route — which you can find at ucityphila.org/getting_around/lucy — includes 30th Street Station. Flash your PennCard for a free ride.

PennCard holders can also find a free ride on Penn Bus and Penn Shuttle, which run between 20th and 48th streets.

To Center City, Chinatown and Old City

Students can reach these popular shopping and eating destinations by taking the Market-Frankford El, which runs along Market Street. The stops near campus are at 40th and 34th streets.

You can also take the 21 SEPTA bus, which runs eastbound to Center City on Chestnut Street and westbound to campus on Walnut Street, for $2 or a SEPTA token.

For Chinatown, take the El to 8th or 12th streets. For Old City, take it to 5th and 2nd streets. And for South Street, take the 40 SEPTA bus toward Lombard or 2nd streets. There are stops all along Spruce Street, including one in front of the Quad.

To South Philly

Ride the El to City Hall and transfer to the Broad Street Line (the Orange Line) going south.

Stadium Complex

To go support Philadelphia sports teams, take the Broad Street Line going south to its last stop, AT&T Station. This brings you to Wells Fargo Center, Lincoln Financial Field and Citizens Bank Park.

Philadelphia International Airport

When it’s time to head home for break, take the R1 train from the University City Station at South Street and Convention Avenue (by the Penn Museum) to Philadelphia International Airport. You can also catch the R1 at 30th Street Station.

New York City

New York is close by road or rail. You can take the Amtrak train from 30th Street Station — the most expensive option — or take the Trenton Line from 30th Street Station to Trenton, N.J., where you transfer to a New York-bound New Jersey Transit train.

A more inexpensive option is a bus service, like Megabus or BoltBus, which departs from 30th Street Station, or buses departing from Chinatown.