021711slideshow

Interactive slideshow of "Sex Toys 101", an event featuring dildos, vibrators, and other sex toys. Related: Foreplay for 'Vagina Monologues'

“Angry vaginas don’t want to play.”

Sexuality educator “Juicy Justine” weighed in on the importance of safe and well-thought-out sex at the Kelly Writers House Wednesday evening.

Her talk, “Sex Toys 101,” gave the audience an overview of the human anatomy, discussing different sexual positions that are possible and using a range of sex toys to demonstrate their uses. Feminist publication The F-Word hosted the speaker — whose real name is Justine Shuey — in celebration of The Vagina Monologues, to be performed on campus this weekend.

Members of the audience were surprised to hear that the average length of foreplay in the United States is only about thirty seconds, while the average length of intercourse can be anywhere between two to seven minutes.

She also discussed the reasons why porn is not an accurate representation of real life, using oral sex on men as an example. “Deep throating is kind of bullshit — more a visual thing than anything else,” she said of the act, explaining that most of the nerve endings in the penis are actually at the tip.

With her demonstrations and candor, Shuey made the audience laugh, creating an interactive environment with an opportunity for everyone to submit anonymous questions at the end.

College junior Jewel Lester said she found the whole experience to be “very informative, as it debunked many common myths about sex.”

“I didn’t realize you have to do so much to stimulate the vagina,” she added.

Shuey came on behalf of the Sexploratorium, which provides sex-education workshops in Philadelphia.

“I teach people about sex, all day, everyday. It’s a pretty awesome job,” she said.

Shuey is also a sexologist with a doctorate in Human Sexuality from The Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality in San Francisco.

Presentations she has given in the past range from sex education for high-school students to workshops titled “Blow HIS Mind: The Art of Pleasing a Man.”

F-Word Editor in Chief and College senior Rachel Tashjian said this first-of-a-kind event at Penn was planned to promote awareness of issues surrounding sex and femininity and to extend support for The Vagina Monologues.