Lineup shuffles proved unsuccessful in the Penn men’s tennis team’s Ivy League opener.

The Quakers were defeated 5-2 by Princeton Saturday at Levy Tennis Pavilion in a match that was tightly contested.

The Red and Blue (10-5) dropped three of their six singles matches in three sets. This marks the third consecutive loss for the Quakers, who lost crucial three-set matches in each of the three losses.

Freshman Jason Magnes said that the close losses are largely the result of “little mental slip-ups that you have to consciously remind yourself about to make sure they don’t happen again.”

One of the biggest issues that the Quakers have had to deal with this season is constant changes to the starting lineup. In this match, the Quakers unveiled two new doubles teams: Eugen Brazdil and Mark Milbrandt at first doubles and Adam Schwartz and Rob Wong at third doubles.

The second doubles team, Magnes and Phil Law, have only played together three times this season.

Magnes said he thinks it is important to have “that certain comfort level with your teammates and especially your doubles teammate … when it gets to crunch time in Ivy matches.”

Penn has also made changes to its singles lineup as of late. Sophomore Phil Law (11-2) and senior Adam Schwartz (5-7) swapped positions, with Law moving up to No. 2 on the ladder and Schwartz moving down to No. 3.

However, the position that has changed the most this year has been the sixth singles spot. Seniors Jeff Karsh (1-3) and Justen Roth (4-2) have competed for playing time with freshman Mark Milbrandt (5-3) at sixth singles.

All the lineup decisions appear to represent the choice between talent and experience.

“It’s tough,” Magnes said. “Do you play a freshman who seems to be more talented or a senior who has more experience?”