Athletic Director Steve Bilsky sat down with The Daily Pennsylvanian on Friday to discuss the search for the next men’s basketball coach.

Yesterday’s feature highlighted how the search, which he said is in its final stages, is being conducted and offered some information about possible candidates.

He also shed light on the impact on the program of the extensive search and the potential challenges faced by Miller’s successor.

Daily Pennsylvanian: What have you told the incumbent coaching staff to do in the past couple weeks? What kinds of things have they been doing?

Steve Bilsky: They’ve been doing what they would be doing. They’re paid. They’re coaching. They’re recruiting [and] they’re starting their spring workouts soon. They are giving it their best, and I think that’s been a testament to them throughout this whole period of time. You wouldn’t know that they were “interim” or unsure of the future. They’ve really done a good job, and I think that’s a credit to the three of them.

DP: Do you think that there could be ill effects in terms of things like recruiting, depending on how long it takes to make the announcement for the new coach?

SB: I think when people make commitments to Penn in any sports, they’re making it to Penn as an institution, and to the basketball program, and to the coach. And so it appears at this point that the people are solid.

And as much as we have a concern about the existing recruiting class, you really have just as much concern about next year’s because recruiting is becoming an earlier and earlier cycle, so by saying we’re in the final stage, I think we’ll be able to take care of both this group [of recruits] and not lose anything going forward.

DP: And what are the expectations for a new coach, both in the short term and the long term? They are obviously different than they were four years ago.

SB: I think, in the end, talent is the biggest indicator of success, as much as any other factor — X’s and O’s, brilliant tactician, all those things. You want that, but you want the best players you can get, and so that requires not only somebody who has good talent assessment but [also someone who] is a good salesman because they’re competing with other people.

DP: Coach Miller obviously had a very short amount of time to prove himself. For the next coach, how long do you wait until you decide it’s starting to turn around or starting to become successful?

SB: That’s a very good question, and I don’t think that there’s an exact year with that. A lot has to do with the situation that exists when they start.

You have to be fair. When Karin Brower [Corbett] was hired as women’s lacrosse coach, we didn’t expect the team to be a championship team at the beginning, but we wanted her to establish a framework for ultimately a championship team.

DP: Do you feel that if the next coach does not perform well for a certain amount of time, your job security will be at all affected?

SB: No. I think that when you’ve been here for a long time, and you’ve developed a career of credibility. If there’s any pressure in hiring the next coach, it’s my pressure. It’s just professional.

I have great support from the University [and] great support from the administration. You can’t be in this business as long as I have unless you’re doing something right.