Thefts from buildings more than doubled compared to April 2008, while incidents of violent crime were down since that time last year. Crimes against property showed little change overall.

Building thefts increased sharply from 14 last year to 30 this year.

Despite this spike, thefts from buildings have still significantly decreased in the first four months of this year compared to last year, from 112 down to 64.

This overall decrease in theft is down to "the diligent patrols of our plain clothes and uniform officers and sharing of intelligence with other city public safety organizations," Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush said.

There were no robberies and no forcible sex offences in April this year - whereas there was one of each last April - and assaults were down from five last year to two this year.

Burglaries were down from 11 last April to four this April, and bike thefts decreased from 14 to three. On the other hand, thefts from buildings more than doubled compared to last April, rising from 14 to 30.

She added that the good weather, finals and moving out means that students' minds are occupied with other things and there is often an increase in theft - but the Division of Public Safety is aware of this fact.

Rush said she understood that students will be in high spirits having finished their finals, but she urged them to "just hang on in there and keep your wits about you for a little bit longer."

A summary of the crime statistics for the year to date as compared to the first four months of 2008:

No homicides were reported either this year or last year.

Total robberies increased from eight in 2008 to 12 in 2009.

There have been four forcible sex offenses so far this year, the same number as in 2008.

Aggravated assaults increased from three last year to four this year.

Simple assaults are down from 13 in 2008 to nine in 2009.

Burglary dropped from 30 in 2008 to 11 this year.

There was one instance of arson this year, whereas there were none in 2008.

There were three auto thefts this year, up from the two reported at this point in 2008.

Bike theft fell from 26 in 2008 to seven this year.

All other thefts are down to 164 this year, as compared to 185 in 2008.

Related StoriesCrime down 32 percent for March, 25 percent for year | Interactive graph - NewsThefts, overall crime decrease in 2009 | Interactive graph - NewsViolent crime down 41 percent for year - News