Denis Kinane will become dean of the School of Dental Medicine beginning July 1, Penn President Amy Gutmann and interim Provost Vincent Price announced yesterday.

"Penn's got a fantastic reputation," Kinane said, "and I'm really looking forward to contributing."

Until now, the Dental School has been led by interim Dean Thomas Sollecito, who stepped in after former Dean Marjorie Jeffcoat retired in July 2008.

School of Medicine Dean Arthur Rubenstein led the search committee that helped select Kinane after interviewing 12 candidates in a four-month search both within and outside the University. According to Rubenstein, Kinane "epitomizes" the traits the committee sought: strong leadership ability, interpersonal skills and a record of accomplishments in the dental field.

"He has a deep understanding of the interdependence among the educational, research and clinical missions of a dental school and an unyielding commitment to the highest quality teaching, excellence in patient care and eminence in research," Gutmann said.

Kinane is currently associate dean for research and enterprise at the University of Louisville School of Dentistry in Louisville, Ky., and a professor in the school's department of periodontics, endodontics and dental hygiene, as well as a professor of microbiology and immunology in the university's School of Medicine.

Originally from Scotland, Kinane received his Bachelor of Dental Surgery in 1980 and his Ph.D. in microbiology three years later from the University of Edinburgh.

During his tenure at Louisville, he worked to improve the dental school's research and professional standing and raised its research funding ranking from the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research from 37th to 12th.

"Dr. Kinane is a strong advocate of closer ties among dental medicine, medicine and the basic sciences and of forging new linkages between dental schools, the community and business sectors," Price said in a press release.

Kinane said he hopes to address issues "across the border," including clinical aspects, research, teaching and scholarships.

Gutmann and Rubenstein emphasized that Kinane brings an interdisciplinary vision to the Dental School in reaching out to the School of Medicine and the Nursing School, which Rubenstein said "hasn't been done that well in the past."

Gutmann added that she looks forward to seeing Kinane tackle increased research funding for the dental school and push forward on local and global engagement.

And his Scottish background, she said, also adds "an international diversity of accents to our executive team."

Related StoriesDental dean to resign next month - News