Refocusing the drinking discussion

To the Editor:

President Gutmann notes that she has not seen conclusive evidence confirming the claim "that the higher drinking age causes increased levels of binge drinking" ("Gutmann: Drinking-Age debate needed" 8/28/08).

She is wise not to enter the conversation about age limits for alcohol if it does not include the topic of the relationship between binge drinking and sex.

While some students abuse alcohol to act cool or rebel or perhaps revel in their new-found freedom, alcohol is used primarily to mask discomfort or fear in initiating sexual encounters or engaging in potential sexual relationships. Students use bingeing to find the courage to be sexual or, at least, to justify sexual behavior that their (usually unexamined) moral values would not usually allow.

Until we promote a public conversation in a safe venue that provides non-judgmental guidance and permission to be sexual before marriage and encourage the examination and development of constructive sexual ethics, students will continue to abuse alcohol. Unfortunately, it's the only way some can be sensual, sexual and pleasure-seeking young adults. When we unhinge sexual repression in our culture from alcohol, we will find that age limits for drinking is a less important conversation.

We need to open a helpful dialogue about the norms, values and ethics of being sexual people. Rev. Beverly Dale The author is president of the Christian Association at Penn