After much delay, the South Street Bridge Replacement Project finally appears poised to begin - but community members are still trying to assert their views about the project.

Community members have been critical of the design put forth by the city, and last month the South Street Bridge Coalition commissioned urban planning firm Wallace Roberts & Todd L.L.C. to propose design modifications to the bridge.

The 69-page report was released last Friday.

"The object here is to spark a full and complete dialogue between all of the stakeholders on what we ultimately want for the bridge," said coalition organizer James Campbell.

While community members are excited that the project will begin soon, they say the city has not included their input in the design process.

City officials could not be reached for comment for this article.

The current design from the city Streets Department, which would take about 20 months and $54 million to complete, calls for an expansion of the two-lane bridge into five lanes, to help increase speeds on the bridge and reduce traffic buildup.

The plan also calls for a 5-foot bike lane and 9-foot sidewalks along the main part of the bridge.

The new report includes a list of 23 recommendations for changes in the plan. The suggestions include the removal of the fifth traffic lane, along with the enclosed overlook towers, which some critics feared may have become easy mugging spots and are not visually appealing.

One of the major concerns of the community was making the bridge more accessible to pedestrians and cyclists. Because the current bridge design has no barrier between the sidewalk and automotive traffic, many are concerned that the city plans to construct a bridge that is focused primarily on the concerns of the motorist.

One major suggestion in the proposal would combat this by moving the crash barrier between the bicycle lane and car lanes, as well as widening bike lanes and sidewalks, something that could be done if the fifth traffic lane is removed, and affordable if the overlook towers are abandoned.

The actions of the South Street Bridge Coalition have been supported by some of the most powerful people in the city and state, including Mayor Nutter and Governor Rendell.

Penn officials are still reviewing the suggestions at the request of the South Street Bridge Coalition.

The coalition wants Penn to support the plan.

But, according to Facilities spokesman Tony Sorrentino, "Penn has no authority here in ratifying or reviewing these plans."

Sorrentino added that Penn supports a bridge that balances safety and speed of completion.