e992z612
Students enjoy cooking their marshmallows and trying to escape the heat at the Senior BBQ.

Seniors kicked off the Senior Class Gift Drive yesterday, beginning the year-long process of encouraging the class to leave a financial mark on the University.

Money donated by seniors throughout this year will go directly into the Penn Fund - the University's main fundraising arm - and will be used for initiatives like financial aid, residential life and academic programs.

The Senior Class Gift Drive is an annual tradition, and this year's seniors are hoping to break last year's record - 63 percent participation and $63,999.

"Our goal is 65 percent participation to raise $65,000," Gift Drive co-chairwoman and College senior Danielle Kasirer said.

Penn President Amy Gutmann, who spoke at the event, is confident in the class's ability to pull it off.

"I will celebrate when the great class of '08 breaks all records," she said.

Those involved with planning the drive are excited about the opportunity for seniors to give back.

"It's a great way to pay it forward," said Drive co-chairman and College and Wharton senior Russell Woo.

Dvorit Mausner, a 2007 alumna and Penn Fund representative, said the Senior Class Gift Drive is a chance for seniors to learn how fundraising enhances the Penn experience.

"From freshman year until senior year, every single undergrad benefits from the Penn Fund, and maybe they don't even know it," she said.

She also hopes the drive will encourage annual philanthropy in students after they graduate.

Penn seniors are more than willing to give back, too.

"I'm immensely grateful for the education I've received here," said College senior Eric Sukumaran, who transferred to Penn after his freshman year at a British university. "Coming to Penn has been the best decision of my life - I'm happy to give back."

And the kickoff serves more purposes than just to raise money - it's about fun too.

"We need to get kids excited about senior year," said Wharton senior Kavita Mathews, a gift-drive committee member.