Want to get up close and personal with sophomore class president Brett Perlmutter? Looking for a stop watch that counts down until spring break?

Then head over to Penn09.com.

Launched by the sophomore class board on Tuesday night, the site - which is open to anyone and does not require a login or password - features details of upcoming sophomore events, photos and announcements.

Class boards are typically responsible for maintaining a class site on a "dolphin" server controlled by the Office of Student Life.

But the sophomore class board, apparently, is not typical.

Perlmutter said the board wanted to create an easier-to-find site and thus created a new one on a different server - managed by Penn alumni - that allows students to go to a direct link rather than go through multiple steps on the Office of Student Life Web site.

"It is our hope to have a unified format for each of the class board Web sites that would all be easily accessible through a central portal," Perlmutter added.

Penn09.com also boasts a sophomore-class pick of the week - a favorite student chosen by the class board - and, at the end of the semester, there will be a class-wide vote for the favorite pick of the week, who will receive a prize.

Users can also check out "Brett Perlmutter's Corner" to get news from the class president.

Since being announced via e-mail on Tuesday night, the site's premiere targets, the sophomore class, seem to be expressing optimism regarding the two-day-old site, which received 1200 hits as of noon yesterday.

Although many sophomores said that they haven't yet had a chance to look at the site, College sophomore Erica Evans, said she was impressed with the site, which she called "very well put together."

Others, like Wharton sophomore Nat Abrams, pointed to the site's pragmatic potential.

"Instead of getting e-mails every week, [the board] can put [those messages] under announcements," Abrams said, adding that he hopes the site will reduce inbox clutter.

The new Web site is modeled after the senior class' Web site, which is likewise hosted on Alumni servers.

Seniors converted their class site to the alumni server during their final year at Penn, but the sophomores are the first class to switch so early.

"It would definitely be a good idea for classes to have such a Web site from the beginning," said Wharton senior class president Andy Kaplan.

And some classes are already jumping on the technological bandwagon.

The freshman class board, for example, has its own Web site in the works and has been in contact with the sophomore spear-headers for advice about revamping what student government officials hope will foster dialogue between students and the boards, said Wharton freshman Wang Liao, the freshman class vice president of corporate sponsorship.

Still, some are sticking with what they know.

Junior class president Puneet Singh, a Wharton junior, said that he has no plans of following suit

"I don't actually see an advantage in doing it," Singh said. "It hasn't been a pressing issue."