The non-profit organization that monitors good governance across the Philadelphia area is going into the new year with renewed vigor and a new leader.

After a five-month-long search, the Committee of Seventy has named former Philadelphia Daily News editor Zack Stalberg as its president and CEO.

Earlier this month, to the surprise of many, Stalberg resigned from his editorship at the Daily News, where he had previously worked for over 20 years.

"He is a pretty impressive individual," search committee leader Glenn Bryan said.

Stalberg will "take the Committee of Seventy into a new direction -- greater visibility, more relevance, valuing diversity," added Bryan, who is a vice chairman of the committee. "We feel like he can ... position the Committee of Seventy into the mainstream of Philadelphia life."

The watchdog organization aims to combat cynicism that has surrounded government across Philadelphia in recent times.

"Coming from [being] the editor of the Daily News, he has had tremendous experience and contacts with many different constituencies," said Bryan, who is also Penn's assistant vice president for community relations.

During last fall's elections, the organization was deeply involved on campus distributing electoral information. In the future, Bryan foresees increased collaboration between Penn and the committee.