In addition to the well-publicized Republican Pennsylvania U.S. Senate race, several other key primaries around the city and state were determined yesterday.

Allyson Schwartz was declared the Democratic winner for the 13th Congressional District race by a narrow margin of 52 percent to 48 percent over Joe Torsella.

Melissa Brown was declared the Republican winner for the 13th Congressional District, beating out Al Taubenberger and Ellen Bard in a close three-way race.

The 13th Congressional District seat was vacated by three-term Congressman Joe Hoeffel, who will face Sen. Arlen Specter in the November elections.

The contest for attorney general was also decided yesterday evening, with Jim Eisenhower being declared the Democratic winner with 38 percent of the vote. Tom Corbett won the Republican nomination for attorney general over Bruce Castor with 53 percent of the vote.

The 182nd District Democratic race, which encompasses much of Center City and is widely considered the most liberal district in the state, was won by incumbent Babette Josephs, who took 42 percent of the vote over Penn graduate Andrew Hohns and Ward Leader Terry Ann Gillen.

Voting stations were set up at several locations on Penn's campus, including New Ralston House, at 36th and Chestnut streets, and David Rittenhouse Laboratory, located at 33rd and Walnut streets.

Unlike in years past when senior citizens were bussed in from suburbs to man the polls, this year, Penn students worked the voting stations.

"Republicans petitioned a bipartisan city commission to have people from our division run the polls," said Wharton sophomore and Elections Judge Daniel Kline. "We are overseeing the polling, ensuring orderly processes, filling out forms and making sure everything is cross-checked and in compliance with federal and state election procedures."

Kline, who is also a member of the College Republicans, said that students petitioned to man the polling station after charges of election fraud occurred in the last primary elections.

"Last year, an election watcher was forced out by the police and several Democrats," Kline said. "He got a court order that allowed him back in, but the election was already over."

Keyetta Logan was supervising the voting procedures at DRL for the 19th District, 27th Ward.

"It was slow in the morning, but now it's starting to pick up, because people are getting off work," she said. "We have already had around 70 to 80 people, and we will probably get around another 50 before the polls close."

Logan reported there had been no problems with protesters or voter cooperation, in contrast to previous elections in which she has participated.

"It has been smooth sailing so far, very quiet and comfortable," she said.