The Young Gunz are set to perform on campus during the Penn Relays, according to the hip hop group's Web site.

Both Philadelphia natives, the two 19-year-old artists of the Young Gunz are signed on with major rap label Roc-A-Fella.

Scheduled for April 23, the Penn Relays Concert is organized by the Social Planning and Events Committee to Represent Undergraduate Minorities. SPEC-TRUM members would not confirm that the Young Gunz will play.

"I'd love to give you more information, but I can't really talk about it because we haven't finished the contracts," SPEC-TRUM Co-Director Darryl Wooten said.

When asked why the Young Gunz have posted that they will perform on Penn's campus if the deal is not finalized, Wooten said, "I was wondering the same thing."

While student response to the group's appearance varied, many were excited by the selection.

"It's a big performance act to bring," Engineering sophomore Richard Brushett said. "They're a pretty big group now, a couple of big singles, a big album out."

"I definitely feel like it will draw a lot of students, and it will definitely draw a lot of the West Philadelphia community as well," Brushett said.

Others, however, said they were not drawn by the selection of the Young Gunz.

"I don't really know who they are," Wharton freshman Jared Abelman said, noting that he does not plan to attend the show.

Yet Brushett said that the group's relatively low profile would not deter him from attending.

"I don't know a lot of their stuff outside of two singles ... but I feel like this will be a great opportunity to hear more of their music," he said.

Last year, rap artist 50 Cent was scheduled to perform at the Relays Concert but withdrew from the event, leading to its cancellation.

In past years, hip hop artists Common, Talib Kweli, Hi-Tek, Method Man and Redman have all performed.