The Pi Lambda Phi house, located at 3914 Spruce St., is unsafe for residents, according to a recently completed audit performed through the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs. Residents have been advised to relocate immediately.[Ian Zuckerman/T

Pi Lambda Phi house residents have been advised to vacate their house following an extensive review of the property by a University-hired architectural firm.

Residents, however, will not be forced to leave.

"The house has not been condemned," said Pi Lambda Phi President and College junior Michael Nierenberg, referring to city regulations which could evict residents of a condemned house.

The fraternity house at 3914 Spruce St. -- which is neither owned nor managed by the University -- poses "immediate and serious structural, health and safety issues [that] present significant ongoing risks to the residents," according to a statement released by the Office of the Vice Provost for University Life.

Specific issues cited by the engineers include weak masonry around the walls adjacent to the stair tower, significant termite damage in structural joists and water-damaged ceilings and walls.

The rear stair tower and stone parapet on the front of the building are also in poor condition and liable to collapse.

The University has informed the residents of these findings and expects the Pi Lambda Phi alumni corporation to play a role in addressing these issues.

"As a Penn parent, I asked all of [the residents] to consider moving," Vice Provost for University Life Valarie Swain-Cade McCoullum said. "We would provide University assistance to move them."

Routine inspections of all of Penn's fraternity houses have been conducted since the fall of 2003, consistent with the University's policy on Recognition and Governance of Undergraduate Social Fraternities and Sororities. An Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs representative assisted in compiling the report for each house, InterFraternity Council President Conor O'Callaghan said.

The privately owned Pi Lambda Phi house was reviewed early on in the spring semester. The engineers report was received by the VPUL within the last week.

"I first found out last Thursday," McCoullum said. "We called immediately to set up a time for a walk through the facility and to meet with as many residents as possible."

McCoullum met with nine of the 11 residents early Tuesday evening.

"They are a wonderful community of residents," McCoullum said. "They're one of the best Greek organizations on campus."

Thirty of the 36 fraternity houses inspected so far have shown evidence of minor problems that need to be fixed. However, the Pi Lambda Phi house is the only one which was deemed unsafe for occupancy.

Residents have been offered rooms in the College House System, though alternatives -- such as "a building in West Philadelphia," according to McCoullum -- that would allow the residents to relocate together are also being investigated.

Seven of the residents are currently Penn students, two are alumni and another two are Penn students on leave.

Negotiations are ongoing as to the future living arrangements of the brothers.

The residents "are getting used to the idea," VPUL spokeswoman Leah Smith said. "Independently and collectively, they are considering all the options."

"There is no deadline, no ultimatum made by the University," Smith added. "However, it is important we come to a swift resolution."

O'Callaghan agreed.

"Obviously, the IFC wants all fraternity men at Penn to be safe, regardless of where they live," he said. "It would be my hope that if Pi Lambda Phi is truly uninhabitable, its owners will require the current residents to relocate. Safety is the top priority here."

O'Callaghan emphasized that the recent inspection of the house and subsequent findings were completely unrelated to the one-alarm fire at the property in early December last semester.

However, Smith acknowledged that "there is some damage in the house because of the fire."

Pi Lambda Phi house residents refused to comment further on their situation.