While the University officially prohibits the use of alcohol by anyone under 21, administrators nonetheless are aware that this is college, and many students will undoubtedly choose to drink.

Keeping this in mind, the University created its alcohol policy to outline rules for drinking. Knowing these regulations and other basic guidelines before you drink can save you and your friends in the future.

If you find someone whom you suspect is dangerously drunk, get them help. Under the University's alcohol policy, no student seeking medical treatment for an alcohol or other drug-related overdose -- including those seeking help for other students -- will be subject to University discipline for the sole violation of using or possessing alcohol or drugs.

However, most situations involving alcohol are not so severe. In fact, University officials cite statistics that most students drink four or fewer drinks when they party -- and that many students do not drink at all.

For those who do drink, basic precautions can prevent a fun evening from turning tragic.

Always watch what you drink -- literally. Drinks left unattended for any length of time should be thrown away. Also avoid any drinks you didn't mix yourself or that contain grain alcohol -- they often are much stronger than they taste and you can't ensure their safety.

Drink plenty of water along with alcohol and before going to bed. While the passage of time is the only real cure for drunkenness or a hangover, water can help fight the effects of dehydration. Additionally, having something else in your stomach will help absorb the alcohol.

And under University policy, food and non-alcoholic beverages must be served at any event where alcohol is also being served.

The alcohol policy also sets guidelines for how student organizations sponsoring parties are to be conducted -- parties must be registered at least a week ahead of time with the University, trained bartenders who are not affiliated with the group are the only ones permitted to serve alcohol and hard alcohol and kegs are prohibited.

Kegs are also prohibited in college houses -- a rule some resident and graduate advisors may enforce strictly.

College life brings many new liberties, but with that freedom comes responsibility -- so be careful if you go out tonight.