University President Judith Rodin recently announced that she would not assume the title of chancellor after stepping down as president at the end of June 2004.

Rodin declined the title -- which was originally proposed by the University trustees to be a newly-created fundraising role -- stating she did not wish to cause confusion in the higher education community.

"The Trustees encouraged me to take on some part-time responsibility to help them and the new president launch the silent phase of a new fundraising campaign after I step down next year," Rodin wrote in a statement to the University community released on June 27.

"To provide more external heft to this role in fundraising circles, they suggested the title of Chancellor. I was both honored and flattered, but on reflection I believe this may create confusion in the higher education community. Thus, I have decided not to accept the title and have informed the Board of this today. Of course, I remain committed to help in fundraising in whatever ways needed."

University officials were unable to further clarify in what ways Rodin will participate in fundraising activities after stepping down from her post.

However, Rodin will remain on the faculty at the University as a professor of psychology in the School of Arts and Sciences and as a professor of medicine and psychiatry in the School of Medicine.

When Rodin first announced her resignation and her plans to assume the title of chancellor, she noted that it was not a clearly-defined role.

"We're really making this up as we go, and it's not a role that will have any governance responsibility, because that's the president's role and obligation," Rodin explained in an interview June 20.

"It's a way to have some continuity. I've built relationships, I have a depth of experience after ten years that the trustees think will be useful to them and frankly, to my successor and I'd like to be able to be helpful."