Capping off a successful semester, the BiCultural InterGreek Council recently elected its new executive board, and will be led next year by College junior Jerryanne Heath.

The BIG-C is the umbrella organization for minority sororities and fraternities on campus and in the Philadelphia area.

"She's sharp as a tack," Program Coordinator for the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Larry Moses said of Heath. "I'm sure she will carry on the fine tradition of leadership for the BIG-C."

Working with Heath will be Vice President and Wharton freshman Chris Amos, Parliamentarian and Engineering sophomore Imo Udom, Corresponding Secretary and College junior Jabari Evans and Treasurer and College sophomore Kiel Berry.

This team hopes to continue the dramatic growth that the BIG-C is currently experiencing -- growth that was primarily driven by this semester's return of the Delta Sigma Theta sorority. Delta initiated 27 new members, making it the largest sorority in the BIG-C.

BIG-C success is also reflected in the recognition of Heath's own sorority, Alpha Kappa Alpha, which received seven awards -- including BIG-C Chapter of the Year -- from OFSA at the recent awards banquet.

"I want everyone to know that this is going to be a very exciting year for the BIG-C," Heath said. "I have big goals and dreams of what we can and will achieve."

Specifically, Heath has three explicit goals that she plans to pursue during her presidency. She wants to "clearly redefine our mission and objectives, invigorate my board and constituents" and improve relations with other councils and the public.

Outgoing BIG-C President Chris Padilla, a College senior, spoke of his successor as "a highly capable leader with a new, young board."

"I hope they are able to continue to show what the BIG-C is all about and continue to educate the school as to why BIG-C exists," Padilla said.

Presenting the BIG-C to the Penn community is part of Heath's agenda. She hopes to increase membership in BIG-C chapters by devoting resources toward publicity, a challenge that will require her board "to work hard to increase our impact and visibility."

"I will have to struggle with existing misconceptions of what the BIG-C is and what we stand for," Heath said, responding to whether obstacles lie in her path as BIG-C president.

"Overcoming or changing these beliefs will be a great challenge. I may also have to struggle with people who generally do not respect my organization."

But despite possible difficulties, Heath and Moses are optimistic about the future of the BIG-C.

"We don't have the kind of intake numbers that IFC and Panhel have, but as I've said, the pendulum is swinging back," Moses said. "We're going to see more participation and involvement in our BIG-C organizations."

Heath spoke of her executive board members as "motivated individuals," adding that they "have fresh ideas and approach this new year with enthusiasm."

"I'm very excited about the new board," Moses said, adding that the executive board is relatively young and, as a result, will be on campus to carry out the programs they implement in the long term.

"We get contacted by people all over the nation about how we run our program," Moses said. "I'm sure that now, in this period of growth, [Heath] will do a good job."