After an extensive three-hour election process, the Asian Pacific Student Coalition announced its 2003 board members late Wednesday night.

The APSC is a group that provides support and representation for 18 different Asian student groups on campus. Eight representatives from four schools, three classes and a variety of backgrounds will comprise the new board.

"I see in each board member energy, initiative and commitment to the growth and development of the APA community," said newly-elected APSC Chairwoman Julia Lee.

The Engineering senior is one of two board members who will be returning to this year's group. She was the vice chairwoman of cultural affairs on the 2002 APSC board. She said the relationships she formed with her former board members will influence her term as chairwoman.

"As chair, I hope to inspire in others the same energy and passion that they brought to me," Lee said.

She also has set several specific goals for her term as chairwoman. She said she hopes to build upon the foundation that previous boards have established for the coalition -- specifically in regard to its relationship to the Pan-Asian American Community House.

"The 2002 APSC Board... worked to strengthen our relationship, and I intend to continue solidifying this relationship and developing a structure that will best serve the Asian Pacific American community," Lee said.

College junior Clarence Tong was another member of this year's APSC board elected for 2003. He will retain his position as vice chairman of political affairs.

Tong said he already has several plans for the upcoming year. He is responsible for bringing the first National Asian American Student Conference to Penn this spring. However, Tong also said that most of his work will develop as the year goes on.

"It's hard to predict when political issues will arise, but I feel like it's important to address them, keep people informed about what they are and take action if necessary," Tong said.

Six other board members were elected in addition to Lee and Tong. These officials are all new to the APSC board, yet Lee said they comprise a group with exciting potential.

Engineering junior Dana Nakano will take over as vice chairman of the entire organization. In addition, Wharton freshman Nancy Zhang will serve as vice chairwoman of cultural programming and Wharton freshman Cynthia Wong will be vice chairwoman of University relations.

College junior and Daily Pennsylvanian beat reporter Christina Yang will serve as vice chairwoman of external affairs. College junior Brian Shin will act as vice chairman of communications and Nursing junior Aparna Chandrasekhar will take over as vice chairwoman of development.

The new APSC board officially takes office in January.