Neither rain nor snow could prevent freshmen from getting their introduction to Penn's fraternity scene last night.

The InterFraternity Council kicked off its two week rush period with open houses at fraternities all across campus. Freshmen walked from house to house, dancing around the puddles and getting to know the ins and outs of the traditional college social scene.

As part of the rush process, 23 of the 28 houses will hold anywhere from one to three IFC-sponsored open house events this week in an effort to attract a new crop of pledges. During this time, all freshmen are invited to visit the houses and partake in the free food and entertainment that each one offers.

Incoming IFC President Conor Daly described rush as an opportunity for freshmen to interact with members of each house.

Rush is a time when "houses begin to have a better relationship with freshmen," the College junior said.

He added that although food and beverages are provided, the IFC has a strict policy against serving alcohol to the potential pledges.

This weekend and throughout next week, after the open house round is completed, each house will hold closed events, to which men must be specifically invited. This gives fraternity members a chance to get to know each rushee and determine whether or not he will be invited to pledge.

On Jan. 22, the IFC will host a Bid Signing, during which freshmen will find out which fraternities have invited them to pledge. While some will receive only one bid, others will have to decide between several houses.

Although there are many formalities to the fraternity rushing process, most of the rules are far less strict than those of the rush process for sororities. Daly said that the more relaxed format is due in part to looser national regulations for fraternities than for sororities.

Michael Aronson, the IFC vice president for recruitment and new member education, said that although some freshmen begin with only a casual desire to rush, their interest in pledging generally increases throughout the rush process.

"They become serious about it as the process moves forward," Aronson, a College senior, said.

Aronson was unsure of how many students were expected to participate in the rush process this year.

Daly agreed that while some freshmen are initially attracted by the free food, others are truly interested in getting to know the brothers.

He also noted the diversity of the fraternity system and said that rushees attend the open houses for a variety of reasons.

Rushees did, in fact, seem to vary in their interest in the Greek system while they were travelling between houses last night.

Some, like College freshman Matt Heaton, who is hoping for a bid from Phi Kappa Sigma, already know that they want to become part of a fraternity.

"I definitely plan on pledging," he said. "Earlier in the year I found a frat I really clicked with."

Still, Heaton decided to attend open houses at several other fraternities. The rush process, he added, is a good way to get to know upperclassmen.

College freshman Adam Owensby, who also plans on pledging at Phi Kappa Sigma, agreed.

"You get to see the houses, you get to see the brothers... you rule out the fraternities by the people who are there... and by the house," he said.

The offers of free food also helped draw large crowds. Some fraternities supplied cheesesteaks from local favorites Pat's and Geno's, while others tempted freshmen with hoagies and buffalo wings.

"The free stuff helps," said Wharton freshman Stephen Swanson.

Although he has not decided whether or not he will pledge, Swanson said that he was enjoying attending the open houses.

"We got shown around a house... it was real nice," Swanson said.