Last week, City Council decided to postpone their vote regarding Bill 629 -- which deals with zoning decision protests -- until the fall. However, some citizens hope that the postponement becomes permanent.

The bill has received much opposition in University City because it will only allow "aggrieved" taxpayers the right to protest new zoning decisions, such as new billboards on top of a building or the creation of a new dumpster. According to the courts, "aggrieved" taxpayers are those citizens who live within a mile radius of the property in question, which is a ridiculously small area.

So even if a resident can see the billboard from his or her house or smell the garbage while walking home, they have no legitimate say in the matter. As tax payers in the community all citizens should have the right to voice their opinions about what is done to property in their neighborhood.

And not only does the bill take away taxpayers' rights, it deprives people of their basic rights as citizens. As members of a community, every person should have the opportunity to express their views about pertinent matters -- zoning decisions fall into this category.

Not only will the bill affect zoning decisions regarding billboards, but it will also impact the construction of new stadiums, playgrounds, parking lots, and anything else that is meant for public use. Citizens have a vested interest in any facility that is meant for public purposes and accordingly, the right to protest zoning decisions.

As members of the Philadelphia community, we should be concerned that we are being denied our right to protest decisions regarding public property. It is in the interests of everyone involved, that this bill be reformed to conform to the rights of the citizens.

The proposed Bill 629, as it currently stands, would serve to deny the citizens of Philadelphia their due right to petition the government. It further serves to silence the voices which all residents are entitled to share regarding the affairs of their community.