Penn men's golf co-captain Todd Golditch has gotten more than just a better handicap during his four years on the team - he's also gained close friends. (Andrew Margolies/DP File Photo)

Last year, Penn senior co-captain Rob Goldfaden assumed the leadership position of the men's golf team, a team which he believed to be a fraternity. When he graduated last May, he left pretty big Footjoys to fill. During the fall, Penn senior co-captains Todd Golditch and Kyle Moran proved that they were the perfect fit to fill the leadership void. "I try to lead by example," Moran said. "It is the simple things like showing up to practice on time, practicing the right way and helping teammates through their challenges." Moran helps his fellow golfers by offering advice, suggesting drills and talking through issues to help overcome mental blocks. As a result, the group is extremely cohesive, focused and team-oriented. "This is the closest knit bunch I have seen during my four years," Golditch said. In fact, sophomore Chad Perman noted that the team "hangs out" a lot off the course. "We are all great friends," Perman said, "and we are a much more committed bunch than last year." Much of the teams' feelings of brotherhood can be traced back to coach Francis Vaughn. Vaughn uses his players' input in recruiting decisions in order to promote harmony and friendship within the team. Four years ago, Vaughn wondered how two up-and-coming golfers would fit into his program. Both high school stars in their own right, Golditch and Moran were faced with a similar question -- whether to concentrate on golf or academics. Both chose the latter. "Most people that come to Penn say that golf is not the main focus," Moran said. "The emphasis is clearly in the classroom as opposed to the golf course." Moran was offered golf scholarships by the University of Richmond, Notre Dame, Davidson University and Rice University. However, to Moran, Penn was "the obvious choice." "I was impressed by Francis and his great effort to recruit me," Moran said. "He couldn't recruit with a pay check, but instead a great product, the University of Pennsylvania." Moran noted that Vaughn called once a week until the star recruit decided to attend Penn. Vaughn even flew to Florida to have dinner with Moran and his parents. For the two captains, though, golf remains just a game. They are not pursuing professional golf careers after Penn, but instead relish the game as a lifetime sport, a pastime they will cherish forever. "Golf will be a part of my life for the rest of my life," Golditch said. "And I'm sure a part of my kid's life too." Moran noted that golf provides him with relaxation, enjoyment and the satisfaction that is associated with competition. As Moran said, it is an "experience for the rest of my life." Moran will be working next year for Tucker Anthony Sutro, an investment bank in New York City. At present, Golditch is undecided as to where he will work. But one thing is for sure, the two co-captains have only one thing on their mind, other than school, and that's the Ivy League Championship. "Nothing is given to you on a golf course," Golditch said. "You have to work for it -- just like in life." Speaking as a true pundit, Golditch's recipe for success rings true for his "brothers" both on and off the course.