University City residents speak at a town meeting at the Newman Center. Many residents feel that the University is attempting to push locals out. (Justin Ren/The Daily Pennsylvanian)

Over 200 community members packed into the Newman Center last night for a town meeting about what the event's organizers call the "McPenntrification" of West Philadelphia. Neighbors Against McPenntrification, a community activist organization, hosted the town meeting, which allowed local residents to vent about some of the University's ongoing neighborhood initiatives. Many feel Penn's plans for West Philadelphia may force them from their homes. Topics of discussion included Penn's plans to rehabilitate multi-tenant apartment buildings, the revitalization of the 40th Street corridor, the possible relocation of the McDonald's at 40th and Walnut streets and the construction of the Penn-assisted public school -- measures which the activists say will not benefit West Philadelphians. "The University has enacted an assault upon the neighborhood," said Richard Rogers, a 1973 Penn alumnus and area resident. The event's organizers claim that, in the 1960s, the University destroyed the African-American neighborhood known as the Black Bottom, which was bound by Market and Warren streets between 32nd and 38th streets. Now, members of the community allege that Penn is using the same techniques to expand westward and displace community members from their homes. "I see the University's plans as another 30-year plan to move people off the land, as they did in the Black Bottom," community activist Roxie Smith said. She said this will occur through Penn's housing rehabilitation plan and the relocation of the McDonald's at 40th and Walnut to a residential neighborhood at 43rd and Market streets. Rev. Larry Falcon said that despite overwhelming residential opposition, McDonald's may relocate because Penn wants to redevelop 40th Street. Rogers said that the University City District has developed a revitalization plan for the 40th Street corridor that community members fear will chase out local, minority-owned businesses and replace them with corporate chains. Several of the panelists at the meeting, including Smith, called attention to Mayor John Street's appointment of Penn Graduate School of Fine Arts Dean Gary Hack and top University real estate official Tom Lussenhop to the Philadelphia Planning Commission and the Redevelopment Authority, respectively. "I think Penn intends to take all of West Philadelphia with the consent of politicians," Smith said. Penn Social Work Professor Walter Palmer said that the University should give residents of the former Black Bottom the first rights to new Penn-sponsored housing, spots in the Penn-assisted public school and scholarships to Penn in order to truly reconcile with the community. He said that the Penn-assisted public school at 42nd and Spruce streets,which will start construction in March, will only serve a limited number of residents, noting that the catchment area will not reflect the racial diversity of the neighborhood. Palmer added that Penn only considers those who agree with the University's policies to be members of the community. "Unless [University President Judith Rodin] takes a stand, she is no different than the good old boys with a skirt on," Palmer said. The town meeting concluded with a question and answer session.